Sunday, April 21, 2013

blog 4 (race & culture

Now that I’m halfway through the semester, it has been a wonderful experience to take a cluster involving Race and Culture. This liberal arts cluster includes English, sociology and anthropology. My connections throughout the various classes I’m taking, is about the human interactions either to society or as a person. I used to consider race specifically as a country. I’ve never learned beyond the differences between race and ethnicity. On my personal view I’ve learned that race doesn’t exist even though in Slave and Citizen by Frank Tannenbaum the society considered race to be a very moral importance through society and that the ideal dominant color was set to be white. In our Anthropology class race does not exist ethnicity is only based from cultural backgrounds, what we believe and do in our daily lives. This had really changed the way I think because according to my anthropology teachers we have African backgrounds and the ideology of the mestizos. We should think twice in responding when someone asks what is your race?

No comments:

Post a Comment